Labels

October 19, 2010

Taco Soup


picture stolen from the origial recipe at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ and will be replaced with mine after i make it again.

Sorry I didn't get any new recipes up last week! Between being sick and getting things ready to go to my sisters wedding in Arizona I didn't have time for much. This soup will make up for it I promise, and I bet you already have everything you need in the pantry too.
I found this recipe on the 365 days of crockpot blog and adapted the shiz out of it. The way she made it had like 8 cans of stuff and I decided that was just WAY too much for my little 2 (plus a baby) person family. We gobbled this stuff up too fast at dinner (and lunch the next day) for me to get a picture so I'll have to add one later. I made it last week before we got sick but now that fall weather is here and we both have colds I'm sure I'll be making it again this week.

DIRECTIONS
Brown 1 lb of ground beef in a large pan and rinse out the grease. Put half of the cooked beef in the fridge to be used for something else, like Nachos! or shepards pie!
Then add your seasonings to the top of the meat left in the pan
drain and rinse your cans of beans and add them along with your corn to the pot
dump in the whole can of diced tomatoes (including the liquid)
Add an additional 1/2 can of water, give or take depending on how soupy you want it.
Let it all cook on medium high heat for about 15 minutes
skwirt in about 3 squeezes of ranch dressing (I'm going to guess it was about 1/8 cup) stir one last time and divide into bowls.
Top with some sour cream and shreaded cheese.

INGREDIENTS
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 small can of tomato sauce (like the 6oz one)
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 packet taco seasoning (if you've looked at my other recipes you know I don't use taco packets so I just eyeballed my spices to all be about half of what I normally put on tacos)
1/2 packet ranch dressing mix (I used a couple skwirts of ranch dressing from the fridge instead of the dressing packet, do whatever works for you.)
Some shredded cheese and sour cream to top it off.


Like I said I adapted this from a crock pot recipe so if you want to put it in there be my guest. Cook it on high for 4-5 hrs or low for 8-10 hrs I'm told its really good this way but I needed food in a hurry so I cooked it on the stove, maybe next time i'll try the crock pot. Just make sure when you cook it in the crock pot that you brown the beef on the stove first so that you don't have gross greasyness floating around in your soup.
I really enjoyed a big bowl of this with a spoon like a normal person but my husband loves to scoop things so he ate his with mission tortilla chips, I think it would also be good scooped with saltine crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment