Labels

October 2, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

I must confess
I have never made True buttermilk biscuits
because I never have buttermilk in the fridge. I've never even bought. Instead I use a substitute for the buttermilk, all you have to do is add 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (which I always have in the fridge) to 3/4 cup milk and let it sit out on the counter for at least 5 minutes.

So now that you have my knock off buttermilk here's what you do...

Melt
5 Tbsp butter
add your 3/4 cup of "buttermilk" and 3 Tbsp honey (I forgot to add this last time I made it and they were still delicious)
then mix in
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

After it's all mixed together you have a couple options. You can roll it out dust it with flour fold it in thirds roll it again dust it again fold it then roll it one last time and cut it into 16 pieces so that you get the seperate layers that comes with the territory of classic flaky biscuits.

OR you can do what I do and treat them like drop biscuits and after mixing everything together just use a spoon and drop lumps onto a cookie sheet.

Either way you just have to bake them for 10-12 minutes at 400' F.

No comments:

Post a Comment