Labels

February 20, 2011

Produce Co-op

I decided to finally take advantage of the produce co-op called Bountiful Baskets in my area. Can I just say what a fabulous idea! I looked into it a few years ago and the closest place they had a pick up location was like 20 miles from my house and at 7am on a Saturday, that was just WAY to far to drive. But now it's only about 3 minutes from my house and since i've gotten used to getting up at 630 for work and by about 730 on my days off because of the baby I figured I'd see what it was all about. It's only $15 for a bunch of fruits and veggies. You don't get to pick what you get though so you are bound to get stuff you normally wouldn't think of, which is great for us cuz we love to find new recipes and try new things.
I got strawberries bananas apples mangos, a cantelope, and little pears. Yams (or sweet potatoes, I honestly don't know the difference) carrots, crook neck squash, spinach, asian artichokes (i'm told they are kinda like waterchestnuts but i haven't tried them yet) and the think i never would have bought... cabbage, two heads of it.
Have I ever mentioned that i hate colslaw? Well I do. I'm not sure where I've even had it except maybe KFC but I stopped even trying it years and years ago. So my hubs and I ended up making cabbage soup with the first half a head, and I got to tell ya. It wasn't half bad. Cabbage has a mildly spicy kind of flavor and it's one of those things that you eat lots of if you are trying to loose weight because it's got a lot of good nutrients in it but very few calories. So for those of you who get bountiful baskets and don't know what to do with all that cabage, this one's for you.

Cabbage Soup
1 package low sodium chicken broth I think it said it was 1.5 cups
1/3 red onion roughly chopped
1/2 head cabage roughly chopped
1/2 bag baby carrots cut in half
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp season all
1 tsp chili powder
Honestly i'm not sure how much water we added, the hubs did it. I'd guess it was about 5 cups. added 1 cup at a time.

Chop all veggies. Sautee onion in the pot for 2-3 minuts then add the rest of the veggies and the chicken stock. Add a cup of water every few minutes until it get as "brothy" as you like. Total cook time is about 20 minutes. We ate ours with some kebler sea salt and olive oil flatbread crackers and that just made it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment