Labels

February 27, 2011

Bigos ... or Hunters Stew, it's polish :)

So, we still had 1/2 a head of cabbage to use up, (aside from the head that was made into coleslaw that is sitting my fridge and will probably be lucky if 1/4 of it gets eaten) and a friend of ours said that we should make 'bigos' out of it. I'd never heard of it but he assured us that they all make it in Poland and it's delish. So I gave it a go. Three bowls later he gave it the official thumbs up.

Here's what i did
1/2 a head of cabbage chopped
1/2 a red onion chopped
1 jar sauerkraut drained and rinsed
1/2 lb Kelbasa
1 cup apple cider
2 large roma tomatos diced
2 beef boulion cubes
2 lbs pork shoulder - bone in
1/2 bag frozen pepper stirfry (green, red, & yellow peppers with onion all cut in strips)
2tsp - ish of garlic powder

Put your pork shoulder in the crock pot and a boulion cube on either side. Add the apple cider(or juice if that's what you have) and then pile everything else in. cook for at least 6 hours.

Traditionally most bigos has mushrooms in it but i wasn't in the mood today so i skipped it. I'll be honest when I opened the jar of sauerkraut my first thought was "I'm going to ruin this dinner if I put this in... Oh well gotta do it right or not at all" I was wrong. So wrong! As everything heated up and the flavors started to mingle I got less worried. Then we served up this stew and I was thrilled with how it tasted! The sweetness of the pork and apple juice mixed with the spice and sourness of the cabbage and sauerkraut blew my mind. I had no idea there was a way to make cabbage taste THAT GOOD. Next time we get cabbage from the co-op I'm totally making this again and next time I'm going to add more than 1/2 the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment