Labels

July 20, 2011

BBQ chicken pizza

YUM! I love bbq chicken pizza. Since I had time, I made my own crust today and boy was it tasty. I'm so sad that Papa Johns doesn't do the whole wheat crust anymore, it was so good. :(

I cooked a chicken breast in a small pot on the stove with bbq sauce 1tsp garlic and 1 Tbsp thyme over low heat (3 on my stove) for like 30 minutes while I was waiting for my dough to rise. Since it was such low heat i didn't even have to watch it, just put a lid on and came back to rip it into small chunks. I only used about 1/2 the breast on the pizza too so now i have leftovers for a sandwich or more pizza later in the week.

Roll out your dough to about 1/4 in thick put it on your cookie sheet and stab it with a fork all over (this way when it cooks it wont bubble up) then bake it at 400' for 3-5 minutes.
Do this with either homemade dough or use a package of Jiffy pizza dough, it tastes good, it's less than 50cents, it's easy and takes 5 minutes, I usually add just a couple tablespoons of wheat flour when I use the Jiffy kind because it just seems too sticky otherwise

Take it out of the oven and top with
1/3 cup (more or less) bbq sauce, I use sweet baby rays
1/2 of a chicken breast, in small chunks
some diced red onion
slices of peppers red, green, yellow, whatever you have/like. i just thawed some pepper stir fry
1/8 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or whatever cheeses you want)

Put it back in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes, til the edges brown nicely.




Here is the recipe I used for the pizza dough. I've also used this to make bread sticks, just brush some butter mixed with garlic and a sprinkle of salt and finely shredded cheese.

Delicious Dough

1-1/2 cup warm water (like 110' don't do super hot water, over 125' will kill your yeast)
1 Tbsp sugar
2-1/2 tsp (or one envelope) yeast.

I use dry active yeast that i keep in the fridge so you have to let the yeast sit out for a minute or two in the bowl before you sprinkle the sugar and water on top. Then use a fork to mix it together and let it poof (foam up) for about 10 minutes. Then add

3-1/2 cup flour (I use half whole wheat half all purpose but you can use what ever you want)
1 tsp salt
Use the fork to mix it all together for a minute then when switch to you hand. You want to kneed the dough for at least a few minutes so that it all comes together smoothly and helps the yeast do it's job. Kneading the dough is important for the gluten to develop properly, you don't want the dough to rip, just use your palms to stretch the dough and fold it over and stretch it some more. This way your bread/rolls/crust will be sturdy and chewy.

Using a firm hand roll the dough into a nice tight ball, place it into a bowl that has a light spray of cooking oil and cover with plastic wrap.

Allow it to rise to double in size, like 2 hours or so. If your house is cold it wont rise properly. what you can do to help it rise on a cold day is turn on your oven just to 200 and as soon as it heats up turn it off, place the bowl with the dough in the oven and leave the oven slightly cracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment