Labels

June 9, 2011

Swiss Chard and baked sweet potato

I haven't really jumped on the "meatless mondays" bandwagon like Ive seen so many people do but I do ramdomly make dinner that doesn't have any meat in it. (Half the time it's because i'm too lazy to prepair/cook the meat :) ) Anywho, when I got this big bunch of swiss chard I had no idea what to do with it. I'd never eaten swiss chard before so I wasn't even sure what it tasted like. I found this recipe that looked really promising and I've got to tell ya, it was a pretty good quick, easy, and filling dinner.





Ingredients:

-1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-inch chunks
-1 bunch swiss chard
-2 Tbsp. olive oil
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
-1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- cheese of your choice (I used shredded colby jack but mozzarella, Parmesan  or cheddar would work well too)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place diced sweet potato onto one side of the baking sheet with the stems of the chard on the other. Sprinkle a little olive oil and cheese on the chard stems and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
2. Wash the swiss chard and chop the leaves into 2-inch wide strips. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Add swiss chard, garlic and red pepper flakes to pan, toss swiss chard around the pan until it starts to wilt a little.
3. Place lid on pan and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
4. Remove sweet potato chunks from oven and toss into pan with swiss chard for last few minutes of cooking.
5. Sprinkle ground nutmeg over the swiss chard and sweet potatoes. Toss them together and serve with the stems on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment