Labels

March 15, 2011

Pancakes vs Waffles

Have you ever had the frozen pancakes from the grocory store? We used to get them when my hubs and I were first living together before I started making my own. After having the baby I bought them again for some easy breakfasts but man was that a MISTAKE! They were SO much worse than I remember. Our babe is 7 months old now and they are still in the freezer. I've never been a huge fan of the Bisquick pancakes either. Cooking pancakes is like an art, they have to been perfectly golden on the outside and not at all gooey on the inside for me to really enjoy them. That's why I prefer waffles :) But our waffle maker was crappy and broke and I haven't felt the need to replace it. This recipe works Great for either one. I actually LIKE pancakes with this recipe.

2-1/4 cup flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

Use a whisk to combine all the ingredients until smooth. (Idealy you'll always combine the wet and dry separately and then mix them together. But truthfully I hate having to wash out two bowls so I just combine all the wet ingredients and then try and spread out all the dry ingredients evenly over the top.)
using a 1/4 measuring cup spoon the mixture onto a skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side over medium-high heat (like between 6 and 7) When bubbles start for form on the top it should be ready to flip without oozing all over.

These work Fantastic to make ahead of time. Just make a whole batch and allow to cool completely, then place 3 or 4 in each plastic baggie and put it in the freezer. When you need it in the morning just pull it out of the baggie and microwave for 1 minute, rearrange the order of the pancakes and microwave for 30 more seconds. Sometimes I will fold in 1/2 cup blueberries or chocolate chips when i make them and then when I re-heat them in the morning I can just grab and go cuz they don't need syrup.

(I've eaten my own pancakes from the freezer up to about 2 months after being made and they were still good, not sure what the upper limit is on them though)

On a related note, if you are still using imitation syrup you should really try the real maple syrup. I know it's only like $1 for the fake stuff and like $6 for the real stuff but i PROMISE you it is totally worth it. Your pancakes will taste SO much better and you don't have to use as much syrup either. So it's really not the 6 to 1 price difference you thought it was.. more like 3 to 1 :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment