Labels

January 5, 2013

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

I love jam. I'm appalled at the ingredients list on some jam labels so a few years ago I decided to just start making my own jams. Though it was once a year of boiling, cooking, adding pectin and then canning it took time. Especially since I like a variety of flavors. 

I do Not like "jelly" I'm a jam girl though and through, which means I leave the seeds in for strawberry and raspberry jam. I even neglect to take the skins off of grape jam in favor of just blending it up really well. Since I like the little bits of seeds in it anyways I decided to try a new method using chia seeds. IN case you aren't familiar with chia seeds when you mix them with some water the begin to form a jell. One of those, absorb 10x their weight in water kind of things. I'm thrilled with the result of this jam because now I can whip up a batch in about 5 minutes. I still need to try with other flavors that don't typically have seeds like peach and see how well I like it but if all goes well I may not need to can jam every again!


Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
3Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp water
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Put the berries in your bullet/blender and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Then blend them up good. 

Add remaining ingredients and blend for another 10-15 seconds. Remove the blender top and put a lid on it and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour to jell. 

Note: I like seeds but not chunks. If you like chunks skip the blender and jsut mash it with a fork or something then stir it up real good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment